7.07.2008

The Bear & the Boor

Well this is a backhanded compliment if ever I heard one. Our soon-to-be ex-President Dubya was just in Japan for a G-8 meeting, the first with new Russian "President" Dmitri Medvedev in attendance. Dima & Dubya had time for a little heart to heart, after which America's Fearless Leader praised Medvedev as being - and I quote - "a smart guy who understands the issues very well."

Coming from Bush, I'm not sure intellectual praise is a compliment. The man can't think his way out of a wet paper bag. Dubya continues - "I'm not going to sit here and psychoanalyze the man." [Oh really? That's a shame. I'm sure Mitya would have loooooved to lie on a couch and tell you about his childhood!] "But I will tell you that he's very comfortable, very confident, and I believe that when he tells me something, he means it." [Oh-kaaaayyyyyy Candide. I too believe that when people tell me something, they always mean it. I also believe in the Tooth Fairy!]

The hilarious part, of course, is that Bush could have saved himself the trouble and directed his (admittedly ironic) praise toward Russia's Prime Minister, where it rightfully belongs. Mr. Putin is still running the show - Medvedev knows it, everyone knows it but Bush. Hell, the man won't even take down his presidential portrait from his own office, or relinquish the presidential pen or chair for Kremlin cabinet meetings! I'm sure Vladimir Vladimirovich was having a good laugh over Bush's unfortunate praise. Poor Dmitri, however, just looks uncomfortable as all hell.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard that Medvedev is about 5 feet tall!

Zhenya said...

on a related note.....
bush is a walking embarrassment, part 1,763,093,122:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/2277298/President-George-Bush-%27Goodbye-from-the-world%27s-biggest-polluter%27.html