6.16.2008

This is not art.

It must seem like I pick on conservatives a lot (but...but...it's so easy!). Well, today I'm sure I'll manage to offend a certain segment of the liberal latte crowd (Hillary's most ardent supporters?). Oops. Now, I like art. I am all for creativity, for pushing the envelope, for the avant garde. (OK, actually I hate modern "poetry" too.) But this is just.....hm, how do I say it?....fucked up.

I'm pro-choice. I don't think abortion is inherently evil. I'm 1,000% in favor of Roe v. Wade. But is there something sick and disturbed about a person who repeatedly becomes pregnant and then forces herself to miscarry, so that she can use the resultant video footage and - gag me - blood/tissue matter for her senior art project? At Yale? New Haven, we have a problem.

I mean, is this woman a closet right-to-lifer? Is she trying to empower the Moral Majority to point their fingers and talk about the abuse of abortion and the blatant disregard for life that such a spectacle - I refuse to call it "art" - embraces? The only other thing I can think of on par with this (upon reflection, I actually find the latter example even more categorically reprehensible) is that sick Nicaraguan fuck Guillermo Vargas tying a dog to a wall in an art gallery and letting it starve in the name of "art". What is wrong with people?

I have a message for you, Aliza Schvarts. Sooner or later, your 15 minutes of fame will wear off. If you have to resort to shock tactics to garner attention for your portfolio, you're probably not much of an artist anyway. What you are, however, is an insensitive, entitled agent provocateur who has managed to offend people from all ends of the political spectrum....congratulations. I can confidently say that we'll never find your work exhibited in the Louvre or the Hermitage.

No comments: