2.04.2008

Aha! Uses for an English major

After a thrilling whirlwind weekend that included appearing on tv three times in one night, the defeat of the Patriots' evil empire by Mini-Manning & co., and (gasp) getting to meet Barack Obama, I have to turn to an issue that often arises when someone asks about my education. "You dropped out of Wharton to become an English major?" This is the inevitable question, always followed by blank looks and disbelief.

Yes, yes I did. But - in a rare coup for English majors everywhere - we have found a news item that thoroughly illustrates the advantage of have a student of literature on staff at all times. Preventing moral outrage everywhere - see, we have our uses too!

Apparently the London shopping chain Woolworths failed to follow my sage advice. Now they're amid a PR fiasco, after scads of angry (and presumably more literate mothers) have protested the stores' sale of a bed marketed to young girls - a bed with the unfortunate retail name "Lolita".

I'm hardly an advocate for celibacy or the strict regulation of morals, but branding a bed geared to prepubescent girls with the moniker of the world's most famous promiscuous child seems like a really poor marketing decision... Although I'm always glad to hear a literary shout-out in unexpected places, I'm not sure this is what Nabokov had in mind. More disturbing than the initial branding snafu, however, is the utter ignorance displayed by the chain's management.

"What seems to have happened is that the staff...had never heard of Lolita, and to be honest, no one else here had either."

Hello, folks, did you not take high school English? I mean, Christ, they've even made movies of the famous tale (including one starring a particularly yummy Jeremy Irons...) "Lolita" is as much a part of the international zeitgeist as it is a literary work. Seriously, people. Not having read it is one thing - but to never have heard of the book or even the name before? What planet have you been on?

All I can say is that karma's a bitch. For those of you who fell asleep during lit class or opted for the Cliff Notes version of life....I hope you're caught in just such a peccadillo someday! At very least, be sure you have someone like me lying around...someone who will mock you incessantly but will ensure no such unfortunate branding initiatives is ever allowed to see the light of day.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to mention the Police's "Don't Stand so Close to Me" -- and their British!

Anonymous said...

Confused about that ^ commment... but ok, whatever.

Lesson for anonymous:
they are = they're


I absolutely love that you found this example, btw! I am constantly making Faustian references or Shakespeare references at work and people just give me a blank stare. Come on people!!

Erin said...

Oh my God. And I thought the English were supposed to be more cultured and literary than us philistine Americans.

I've never read the book (though I plan to), and far before I saw the film, I knew what connotations that name has. Yikes. And I must agree....Jeremy Irons deftly overcame Humbert's creepiness by being So absolutely yummy ;) hehe

Zhenya said...

haha whistlin' - i'm glad i'm not the only one who found jeremy utterly DEE-lish as H.H.

the creepy factor, yes. but the delicious factor definitely trumped it!!

lauren - i too crack out faust on a weekly basis. while waiting at the rally for my boy barack, i made some snap about a faustian bargain and was met with blank stares from a few - and the people who did get the references were vaulted into instant "decent human being" status...ha ha

Anonymous said...

I just got an email from a coworked who refernced "a pound of flesh." I congratulated him on his Merchant of Venice ref. imediately, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Anonymous said...

That would be "coworkeR," "referenced," and "immediately." Wow, my fingers are so not cooperating today.

Zhenya said...

hahaha that's so clutch!
i know what you mean about the fingers not working, too ;)

BUT it's so funny - i get really lazy with my typing on facebook or wherever, especially since i'm writng all day FOR work and am forced to be spot-on spelling and diction-wise....but even when i slip up, or some otherwise intelligent person slips up, you can totally tell the difference between a TYPO and sheer ignorance. errors of the first sort never bug me, the second - always!

Anonymous said...

you always find the best stuff. hilarious!! fabulous:)

Anonymous said...

Zhenya said, "errors of the first sort never bug me, the second - always!"

Exactly my mantra.