2.14.2008

Made in China

This tickled my funny bone. I hope you will be as amused. Having spent a number of my young and impressionable years growing up in Shanghai, China (as an expatriate - though I still get the inevitable, "but, you don't look Chinese!" even after explaining this fact to some of my dumber American countrymen and women), I can attest that these little pedagogic wonders are well within the realm of possibility. No narration necessary - enjoy for yourself.

I will add, however - puzzling signs/names/translations were a daily occurrence in China. One of the PRC's big initiatives in preparation for the 2008 Beijing Olympic games was to standardize translation so that the capital of the world's most populous country didn't seem as backwoods as its English language signs would indicate. Although this may benefit tourists and athletes come August, it made me extremely sad. "Chinglish" is exquisite, an anthropological delight that I hope won't be shunted to the wayside in the name of, oh, say, grammatical correctness. (What next? Political correctness?)

Although many of my China experiences will be subjects of future WTH accounts (indeed, my entire experience there was one long, dreamy WTH adventure), I will leave you to ponder the name of the road that I lived on for awhile while over there. Long Dong Road (Long Dong Lu in Zhong-wen.) Oh boy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where do you find this stuff!? Seriously, it's grand.

Anonymous said...

Those cards are just downright amusing. Nice find.