4.23.2008

It's me, honey! But with DD boobs!

What. the. hella??? I am a big fan of literature, and of encouraging kids to read...but this book is absurd on so many levels. What kind of message are you sending your children, Gabriela Acosta? Mom won't be happy with herself until she gets a tummy tuck, nose job, and face lift? And this is what you read your five year old as a bedtime story!?!


The plot is sure to instill a wonderful message in sons and daughters (especially daughters, I suspect) everywhere - you can only be truly happy with yourself based on what you look like! Sure, I'm vain. I like clothes, and mirrors too. But honestly, it's not even close to the top of the list of what matters to me in life. When I was five, I would have rather listened to Watership Down or The Call of the Wild or Black Beauty than.....My Beautiful [Shallow, Insecure, Selfish, Bad-Self-Image-Promoting] Mommy. Christ! And we wonder why so many young girls develop eating disorders and resort to airing YouTube beatings of girls they find prettier than themselves?!

Actual quote from the book:
"My new nose won't just look different, dear - it'll look prettier!"


No comments: