1.18.2008

It's like fitting a square peg into a round hole ...

I do, in fact, have a scintillating and well-researched (thankfully my research did not as yet involve cannibalism...) post in the mix, but in the meantime... A faithful reader/WTH acolyte brought this to my attention, and I think you'll agree, it's definitely a WTH moment. It even involves public transportation (oh, my prophetic soul!), which - as promised in my inaugural post - is always good for a smirk.

True story: As my aforementioned comrade was taking the bus home from work yesterday evening, he witnessed this debacle. Picture this: the bus stops to pick up a person in a wheelchair. No problemo, because the bus has a hydraulic lift system to hoist said person and his chair into the vehicle. Except this person, as we say, was slightly...waistband challenged. In other words, he looked a bit like this.

The lift pulls him up into the bus, but, due to this person's weight, gets jammed. The lift won't go back down, the doors won't shut, and the bus won't start. Furthermore, said person - because of his size - is now blocking the bus aisle in his wheelchair, so no one could get around him to try and fix the door. Add subzero temperatures and rush hour traffic in a major city brought to a standstill because the bus can't move, and we have all the makings of a WTH classic. I only wish my sleuth had brought a camera, because this would have been priceless.

In sum, the bus was evacuated via its emergency exit, and here is where my comrade's role in the saga ends. I am dying to know how they removed the wheelchair-bound individual from the bus, but perhaps I may get lucky enough to catch wind of it in local papers - in which case, gentle readers, I shall update you at once.

And for a brief WTH tidbit too surreal to ignore: projected lows on Saturday morning in my place of current residence.... -50 F. That's not a typo. I bet you can guess what words escaped my lips when I heard the weatherman's report of doom .... what the hella?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hilarious! & i think i might die. boo to cold weather!

Anonymous said...

WOW that is unbelievable. I wonder if that's why they made wider doors on the new hybrid buses. That is insanity. Seriously - incredible!!! You have some sensational stories!!!